OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Rickard, Ted" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:00:49 -0500
We have this problem too at Ontario College of Art & Design because artists
are notoriously anti-establishment and frequently break the rules
deliberately.  We do not have any residences (thank God) but do have close
to 2,500 artists (students, staff and faculty) in a couple of buildings.

I am in the middle of drafting a Fire & Flame Policy in an attempt to try to
control what our students are using in their artwork, whether demonstrating
in the classroom/studio or in a more formal exhibition.  I hate banning
things outright, partly on principle and partly because they will then
simply wait until you are out of sight and then contravene the instruction
again.  Being "Safety Police" just doesn't work with artists and I prefer to
work with them to manage the risk at an acceptable level, finding that this
usually works quite well.  This Fire & Flame Policy will require students
and faculty to advise me (or designate) of any plans to use open flame
(including candles), fire, explosives, rockets, etc. so that we can ensure
that they have considered the risks and taken reasonable precautions.  They
will be issued with a dated Permit, and if we find a potentially dangerous
exhibit which does not have a permit displayed we will immediately shut it
down.  The intent is to make the art students (and faculty) a little more
responsible and to consider risk management as part of the exhibition
process.

This Policy isn't perfect and has yet to be approved or revised by my Joint
Health & Safety Committee, and has not yet been tried.  I realize that we
are in a unique position and are unlike most of your institutions, but I
attach a copy (WordPerfect file) in case it is any use to anyone, and would
welcome comments and suggestions for improvement.  If you can't open the
file feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask] and we will try another
way.

Other than this, we rely largely on safety inspections from members of the
Joint Health & Safety Committee and departmental technicians to ensure that
fire exits are not blocked, problems are reported promptly, and so on.  Your
departmental technicians or their equivalent (i.e., the person who manages
the studio daily but is not Faculty) are really key to keeping art
departments safe and it is important to get them on side.  They tend to be
very familiar with the chemicals and equipment, are usually working artists
themselves, and in my experience are very competent in terms of health &
safety.  They also really care about their particular departments and the
students in them, so it is worth fostering local community spirit to protect
their own people.

Ted Rickard

* * *

Ted J. Rickard, BA, MLS, MEd, CRSP