OHIOFIRE Archives

November 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Wadleigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:58:02 -0500
We conduct a minimum of four inspections per year of dorm rooms and apartments.  We've found it necessary to help in code compliance (especially after the Seton Hall fire).

We conduct one with the student at check-in and include the university furnished surge protectors or plug strips, smoke detectors, undamaged sprinkler heads and other safety items in the inventory.  We conduct another at approx. mid-way of the Fall semester, generally just before or after Fire Prevention Week.  One at the start of the Spring Semester (we sometimes waive this one), one around Spring break, generally just before or after and one at check-out.

Public Safety's inspectors conduct checks of common areas monthly and respond to complaints or observed problems.

Before we increased the number of inspections, 90% of the battery operated smoke detectors were disabled for an extended period of time. Now we find and correct the problem much more rapidly.

The con side is student sometimes feel this frequency is intrusive.

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/15/00 11:11AM >>>
Hello everyone, I would like to know how often everyone conducts Fire and Life safety inspections of the Residence Hall rooms,or do you even conduct them. Pros and cons if any.

                                   Thanks

--
Tim Miller  /Maint. Dept. / Fire and Safety Coordinator
University of Rio Grande