OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Wadleigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:56:01 -0500
In New Jersey, the state fire code requires a 30 sec test of all battery powered lights and signs, once a month, with an annual test of one hour.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/08/01 11:28AM >>>
Good Morning,

I am conducting a bench mark survey with other University institutions to
determine the regularity of testing emergency equipment.  To include: exit
signs, emergency lights, emergency generators, fire extinguishers,cooking
hoods, automatic sprinkler systems and standpipe systems.

At Auburn University, we are currently inspecting our sprinklers and
standpipes at intervals required by NFPA 25.  Our Fire extinguishers are
inspected and tested in accordance with NFPA 10 and all cooking hoods are
inspected and tested in accordance with NFPA 96.  If you are performing
inspection and testing on these systems in addition to these requirements,
will you please indicate the regularity of the test?

In addition, I am trying to find out at what intervals other Universities are
testing emergency lights.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.  I need this
information as soon as possible.  If you have any questions, or if I can be of
assistance, please contact me at (334)844-4870 or email at

Kenneth Harrison, Fire Protection Engineer
Auburn University Office of Safety & Environmental Health
316 Leach Science Center
Auburn, AL 36849