OHIOFIRE Archives

April 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gary Jankowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:00:28 -0400
>>> [log in to unmask] 04/21/01 03:37PM >>>

A friend of mine, Burton W. Phelps, sent me the first part of this and I
have added to it at the end.  Please enjoy and send it on to others, climb
on-board to help reverse the trend.  Let's get some common sense back in our
government and schools before it is to late!

Subject: Remembering Columbine; Santee; & All The Other Schools . . .

 I thought this interesting......

 Darrell Scott Testimony

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this, hmm? Darrell Scott, the
father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in
Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's
sub-committee.

What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress
was painfully truthful. They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor
was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher,
every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called
expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful,
penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man
as a voice crying in the wilderness.

 The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of
men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of
violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the
deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must
not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers. "The first recorded act
of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The
villain was not the club he used.  Neither was it the NCA, the National Club
Association.  The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could
only be found in Cain's heart."

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how
quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA.  I am not a
member of the NRA.  I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not
here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are
responsible for my daughter's death.  Therefore I do not believe that they
need to be defended.  If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's
murder I would be their strongest opponent."

"I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy - it was a
spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame
lies!  Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies
behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves."

 I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.  This
was written way before I knew I would be speaking here today:

'Your laws ignore our deepest needs, Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage, you've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms, And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere, And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws, through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand that God is what we need!'

"Men and women are three-part beings.  We all consist of body, soul, and
spirit.  When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we
create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and reek
havoc.  Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for
most of our nation's history.  Many of our major colleges began as
theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us
as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the
doors to hatred and violence.  And when something as terrible as Columbine's
tragedy occurs politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA.
They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode
away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive
laws."

 "Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount
of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of
massacre.

"The real villain lies within our own hearts. Political posturing and
restrictive legislation are not the answers.  The young people of our nation
hold the key.  There is a spiritual awakening taking place that will not be
squelched!  We do not need more religion. We do not need more gaudy
television evangelists spewing out verbal religious garbage. We do not need
more million dollar church buildings built while people with basic needs are
being ignored. We do need a change of heart and a humble acknowledgment that
this nation was founded on the principle of simple trust in God!"

 "As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two
friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in
school.  I defy any law or politician to deny him that right!  I challenge
every young person in America, and around the world, to realize that on
April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our
schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain.
Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation
that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him."

"To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA - I give to you a
sincere challenge. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first
stone! My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this
country will not allow that to happen!"

Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech.  Please
send this out to everyone you can!!!

If you want to see exactly how we got in the this awful mess visit David
Barton's WallBuilder Web site at:
http://www.wallbuilders.com <http://www.wallbuilders.com/>
I invested $9.95 for an EXCELLENT video titled The Foundations of American
Government and it full explained the FACT and provided exact references to
every claim he made about how the Courts changed what our founding fathers
intended when they wrote the Constitution and signed it.  I soon got hooked
on this history lesson and decided to dig deeper and spent $12.95 for David'
s book Original Intent
<http://catalog.wallbuilders.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=399343>  once again
filled with countless facts and references.  The words separation of church
and state appears nowhere in any founding documents.  I offer you a letter
to the editor at Florida Today I wrote and it appeared in their paper on
April 4th.
Same analogy as church/state?
By Frank Livingston
Titusville
In your March 31st editorial, you expressed the opinion that we didn't need
a flag-burning amendment in our Constitution because if the Founding Fathers
had wanted it, they could have included it and they didn't.  Let's apply
your thought process on another most important amendment, the First
Amendment of our Constitution.
The U.S. Congressional Records, June 7 to Sept. 25, 1789, clearly shows the
intent of the First Amendment.  The word "religionl" was interchangeable with
denomination.  The intent was not to have a single demolition or religion in
America.  The words separation of church and state appear nowhere in the
Constitution or any other founding documents.
In the Sept 20, 1789, Congressional Record, Fisher Ames, considered the
founding father of the First Amendment offered the final wording.  Certainly
he would understand its intent.
In an article written for a national magazine in January 1801, he expressed
a concern that as more and more textbooks are introduced into school
classrooms the Bible might sometime drift to the back of the classroom.  He
warned that this could never be allowed in America that the Bible must
always remain the No. 1 textbook in schools. This is what he urged: "Why
then, if these books for children must be retained, as they will be, should
not the Bible regain the place it once held as a school book?"  Fisher Ames
concluded by stressing the Bible was the source of sound morality and
behavior in America and that we must never let it be separated from the
classroom.
Are you going to use the same analogy to support our First Amendment?

NOTE:  If you would like to get involved please contact me at:
Frank Livingston, EFO
TOP ASSISTANT
224 Pinedo Drive
Titusville, FL 32780