OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Mitchell, Louis J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:11:05 -0600
At Iowa State University fire drills are performed each semester at our
Residence facilities which provide housing for approximately 10,000
students.  Academic facilities do not receive regular fire drill training.
All our campus buildings are equipped with fire extinguishers.  We have
6,500 fire extinguishers with the most prominent type being an ABC
multi-purpose fire extinguisher.  Approximately 45% of our campus facilities
our protected by a variety of automatic fire suppression systems including,
water, mist, foam, CO2, Inergen and Halon.

We test our safety showers annually and eye washes monthly.  The testing of
the safety showers is performed by our maintenance personnel and the testing
of eye wash units is performed by the users.  Generators and sprinkler
systems are tested semi-annually for Residence facilities and annually for
academic buildings.  Fire alarms are tested semi annually for all buildings.

Lou Mitchell, Associate Director
Environmental Health & Safety
Iowa State University
Ames, IA  50011