OHIOFIRE Archives

May 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Janie Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 08:42:28 -0500
Here at the Univ. of Alabama, we inspect fraternities before social events.  If
their house does not meet code by having all exit lights working, emergency
lights working, fire extinguishers inspected and in place, stairwells clear,
etc., then their social event is not approved.  Needless to say, they correct
the deficiencies and have their party.  This program was developed after a
serious fire at one of our fraternities in the late 1980's.  I met with the
City legal department, greek representatives, the fire marshall and student
life and they all agreed that monitoring the fraternity's activities was a high
priority.  The social events (fraternity parties) was designated as a way to
get their attention and it has worked.  Initially, it took quite a bit of
time.  But over time, the houses have significantly improved and several now
call us before a party to see when we are coming for the safety inspection.
See our checklist by accessing www.ua.edu, then site map (at top of page), then
under E (Environmental Health and Safety, then Services, then Fire Safety
Program and then the Approval Procedure for Fraternity Parties. The Tuscaloosa
Fire Department has zero tolerance for false alarms for the fraternity and
sororities (meaning they can get a fine, community service or both) and was
incorporated this past spring semester.