RISE Archives

January 1997

RISE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Doris Bergen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:10:00 EST
This is a list of the understandings reached at the meeting last Thursday
(to be sure we stay on the same wave length). IF SOME MEMBERS OF YOUR TEAM
DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE RISE LISTSERV, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GET THE
MESSAGES TO THEM. WE WILL ALSO ADD ANYONE ELSE WHO NEEDS TO BE ON IT. LET US
KNOW IF THERE ARE OTHER EMAIL ADDRESSES TO BE ADDED.

General Policies:

1. Mileage forms can be used for submitting all routine expenses including
telephone calls. Original copies of bills with relevant calls highlighted
should be included and original copies of other bills should also be sent.

2. To lower phone expenses we agreed to USE THE LISTSERV AND EMAIL FOR
COMMUNICATION AMONG RESEARCH TEAM MEMBERS. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CHECK
DAILY AND ACKNOWLEDGE MESSAGES SENT TO YOU AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE (with a
message received comment).

3. Suzanne has provided us with a form to use in tracking data collected
from our research team subjects. We are faxing you the final version of the
form today. It is to be maintained routinely and copies faxed to the Center
following the completion of each set of tasks (between teleconferences). You
should send the first one now and another right before the next teleconference.
This should get us up to date. Fill out the demographic page this time only.
When completing the demographic page, give a case-like paragraph or two that
answers the questions and sets the context. You can use your creative writing
skills to give us a "picture" of your initial impressions of the program.

4. The Miami team will be converting the small video cassettes to larger video
tapes and the small tapes will be returned to you for re-use in future taping
sessions.

Site Summaries:

Kent: 4 sites:  Youngstown Head Start; Warren Hospital Day Care; Canton Head
Start, Garretsville Family Day Care

OSU: 4 sites: Delaware Toddler Inn (preschoolers); Marion LabSchool/Head Start;
Columbus Day Care (toddlers); Delaware Infant Program

Toledo: 4 sites: Defiance Church Nursery School; Defiance Parent-Child Center;
Toledo Private Toddler Program; Toledo Early Start Program (FRC)

UC: 4 sites: Chillicothe Head Start; Marietta Private Preschool; McConnelsville
Respite Day Care; Marietta Private Preschool

MU: 6 sites: Kings Mill Public Preschool; Butler Co. Head Start; Dayton Head
Start; Cincinnati Private Preschool; Cincinnati Head Start/EI; Clermont Co.
Private Preschool

Control Sites:

We agreed to have each research team submit suggested control sites, with a
contact name, phone, and type of program that fits a potential match with
your other sites or the sites of other teams.

2. If you know the people, you can mention that we will be calling them to
tell them about the Control requirements. However, MU will make the initial
"official" contacts with them after you have submitted your suggestions. We
need these suggestions as soon as possible.

3. There will be two-four control sites in each region. All of them will do
pre and post surveys. Two in each region will be videotaped twice -beginning
and end and will complete the three "after" teleconferences surveys. These site
swill view the videos of each teleconference. The rest of the sites will not
view any of the material until after the training period. All control sites
will get a small stipend for their participation, to be used for materials.

Teacher Workshops:

1. A fax has been sent with information/dates of teacher workshops. This may
or may not be accurate because we find these change often. PLEASE GET CORRECT
INFO ON TEACHER WORKSHOP TIMES FOR THE TEACHERS ON YOUR TEAMS.

2. Attend one of the teacher workshops, take detailed field notes on the sessio
nand collect copies of all materials handed out.

3. Telephone your teachers and interview all of the ones you interviewed before
using the questions handed out at the meeting. IF YOU DIDN'T GET THE QUESTIONS
EMAIL US BACK IMMEDIATELY AND WE WILL FAX THEM TO YOU.
using

Parent Workshops:

1. FIND OUT WHEN TEACHERS ARE DOING PARENT WORKSHOPS. Give copies of the parent
survey to the teachers and ask them to have parents fill out AT THE SESSION and
return immediately before they leave. The team parents should definitely fill
out; the rest of parents are encouraged to do so but they have option not to.
PARENT FORM WILL BE FAXED THURSDAY. PLEASE WATCH FOR IT.

2. DUPLICATE PARENT FORMS YOURSELF AND BILL MU FOR THE COST IF NOT INCLUDED IN
YOUR BUDGET.

3. Attend one of the parent workshops if at all possible. Again collect field
notes and materials. You already have video that will be shown at workshop.

Coaching/Mentoring:

1. The sites for coaching/mentoring are being randomly assigned and that info
will be emailed to you this week. You need to contact the coach in your area
as soon as you have the information to find our the schedule of coaching.
Rebecca Kantor and I agreed that the first coaching session will not be taped
but that one of the 3 other ones will be at the time of one of your 2 visits.
That is why is is essential that you have the exact plans for the coaching.
MU will send you more information on the exact coaching plan as soon as Rebecca
 sends it to us (supposed to be right away). We have also asked that teachers a
at all coaching sites be asked to agree to audio taping their 1/2 hour post
session discussion. There are also materials they will be using that Rebecca
us.

Upcoming Video:

1. Your 2nd video should be scheduled any time after the parent workshops at
each site have been held. However, if site is a coaching site either this visit
or the next one should be when coach is there.

NEXT MEETING IS SCHEDULED FOR THURSDAY MARCH 20TH AT 10-2 COSERRC. PLEASE KEEP
IN CLOSE TOUCH BY EMAIL WITH YOUR MU CONTACTS.

has agreed we can collect so most of this info will not have to be collected by