SCHPSYCH Archives

November 2004

SCHPSYCH@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Shriberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
School Psychology Students <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:02:03 -0500
Hi everybody,

Just writing to let you know that, as of a few hours ago, my surgery has
been bumped up from next Friday the 10th, to tomorrow (Wednesday) the 1st.
 I am actually very happy about this because over the past three days or
so my health got significantly worse so since surgery is the only
long-term remedy for what I have, having the surgery tomorrow instead of
next week is a huge relief.  What this means, of course, is that I won't
be on campus tomorrow for our classes.  So, below is the gameplan for each
class:

For first years:
I've asked Katherine to fill in for me and she has graciously agreed to do
so.  Class will meet as scheduled (second years had class on Oct. 27 and
you didn't, in case you are wondering why you are having class and they
are not).  For the four of you who we did not get to last time, come
prepared to talk about your third school psych visit.  Also, everyone
should come ready to talk about their leader interview, so if you have
your paper written or nearly written (due date is still Dec. 8), I suggest
that you bring your paper to class or otherwise come prepared to give a
short overview of your interview (similar to the overviews we have been
giving of your school psych visits).  I have your most recent papers
graded and, except for the student who I arbritrarily decided to give an
"F" so that you will all fear me (just kidding, just kidding!  No one
failed!). everyone did well.  Seriously, you all did fine.  I'll bring the
papers with me next time I am on campus (which hopefully will be Monday,
but may not be until next Wednesday depending on how my recovery goes) and
any interested parties can pick their papers up then.  Otherwise, I'll
have all of them at our next, and final, class on Dec. 8.

For this week, please send your weekly journal entries to me by Wednesday
at 8AM as per norm.  For Dec. 8, what I want you to do for your final
journal entry (in place of commentary on the readings for this week) is as
follows: Attach in word format a journal entry that covers, 1) a  review
of the goals that you set for yourself early in the semester with your
commentary on whether or not these goals have been met (I want you to be
honest here, you will not be penalized for saying that one or more of your
goals have not been met--rather I am looking for your perspective on
whether these goals turned out to be in target and, if not, why, and if
so, your take on the factors that led to you fully or partially achieving
these goals), 2) your goals for next semester, 3) a revised mission
statement for how you see yourself functioning as a school psychologist (I
have copies of the mission statements and personal goals that you created
early in the semester so you do not need to restate these verbatim but
rather talk me through what you are keeping in your mission statement and
why, areas where you have changed your mission statement and why or, if
you have decided not to change your mission statement at all, why you feel
that your original draft was fully on target), and 4) reflections on what
you have learned in this class.

Again, please email this document to me as an attachment by 8AM on Dec. 8.
 Please also bring a hard copy of this document to class on the 8th.  In
terms of page length, think similar to your weekly entries, meaning
approximately two pages double-spaced (and no more than 4 pages
double-spaced pages please!) altogether.

We'll meet for our final class next week at the regular time to review the
semester (including your personal goals) content and likely to talk a bit
about home-school collaboration as this was the subject for this week's
class.

For Second Year Students:
Class tomorrow night (Dec. 1) is cancelled.  For those of you scheduled to
present tomorrow night, I would like for you to email your availability on
Monday and Tuesday of finals week to do your presentation.  What I am
looking for is a roughly two hour block of time that all of you can do on
either Monday (Dec. 13) or Tuesday (Dec. 14) and you'll present your case
to me and the other students scheduled to present tomorrow night.  The one
exception to this is that I would strongly urge somebody scheduled to
present on the 8th to switch places with Sharin (who was scheduled to
present tomorrow night) and let Sharin present on the 8th so that she does
not have to make alternative arrangements for child care during finals
week. While we all have busy lives, nobody presenting on the 8th is a
parent of a tiny baby in need of babysitting coverage, so please somebody
be noble and given Sharin your slot on the 8th and send me your
availability for Monday and Tuesday of finals week.

Our class will meet on the 8th as scheduled.

I think that just about covers it.  If all goes well, I should be out
Christ Hospital by Thursday so if any burning issues come up, you can call
me at home.  That said, I likely won't be back to full strength for a
couple of weeks so if there is something that you want to talk about that
can wait until then, please wait.

Hope you all are doing well and looking forward to being back on campus soon.

--Dr. S.