SWE Archives

May 1999

SWE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
LT Lore Alvarez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 15:19:20 -0500
If you have already received  this letter, please disregard.

Dear SWE President,

        I would like to introduce you to the Navy Civil Engineer Corps (CEC) and
provide information concerning career opportunities available to your
students.

        The CEC is a professional organization comprised of over 1300 engineers
and architects who manage the Navy's worldwide, multi-billion dollar shore and
ocean facilities.  CEC officers are naval officers who use their
professional training and skills as managers, administrators, and executives in
planning, design, construction, and operations and maintenance. The Civil Engineer
Corps offers young engineers immediate responsibility, challenging
assignments and broad professional growth.  In addition, the CEC Collegiate Program
provides up to $1,600 per month to qualified students who are within 24
months of obtaining a bachelor's degree or within 12 months of obtaining their
masters.

        I am available to conduct a brief presentation about the CEC whenever
might be convenient.  To schedule a presentation for the fall, or to find out
more about the CEC and our Collegiate Program, please contact me at (757)
322-4529 or e-mail me at [log in to unmask]

        I would also greatly appreciate it if you could forward this e-mail to
your students in order to assist us in disseminating this information and the
opportunities available to them.  We wish to reach out to as many students as
possible to inform them of our program.

Highlights of the program are below:

Civil Engineer Corps Collegiate Program Information.

1.      THE CIVIL ENGINEER CORPS COLLEGIATE PROGRAM is a financial assistance
opportunity which pays about $1,600 per month to students who are completing
the last two years of their ABET accredited Engineering Degree or NAAB
accredited Architecture Degree.  The program can be worth over $38,000
during the
students' junior and senior years.
2.      JOB DESCRIPTION: Civil Engineer Corps Officers are the Navy's
professional engineers responsible for executing and managing the planning,
design,
construction, operation and maintenance of the Navy's shore facilities.
Positions available include construction engineering and management, public
works
engineering and operations management.
3.      APPOINTMENT AND TRAINING:  Selectees receive about $1,600 per month,
while they complete their college degree.  In addition, collegiate officer
candidates are entitled to the full Navy benefit package and accumulate
longevity for salary increases and paid vacations.  After graduation, they
attend a
13-week course of instruction at Officer Candidate School in Pensacola,
Florida, followed by 13 weeks of graduate level training at the Civil
Engineer
Corps Officers School in Port Hueneme, California.
4.      OBLIGATION:  Following graduation, students agree to enter the Navy
Civil Engineer Corps, one of the Navy's most respected groups of
professional
engineers.  There is a four-year active duty contract following completion
of
Officer Candidate School.  After this contract period, officers have the
option of remaining in or leaving the Navy.
5.      SALARY AND BENEFITS:  The Navy offers a competitive salary and benefit
package.  Salary levels provide rapid and frequent advancement and are
adjusted annually for cost of living.  An exceptional and comprehensive
benefit
package provides a variety of fringe benefits, including 30 days paid
vacation
per year, free medical and dental care, moving expenses, the opportunity
for postgraduate education at Navy expense and much more.
6.      JOB LOCATIONS:  Most positions are in the United States; however, there
are job overseas for those who are interested.
7.      ELIGIBILITY:  Students must be in pursuit of an ABET accredited degree
in engineering or a NAAB accredited degree in architecture, with
demonstrated
academic excellence.  Applicants must be at least 19 and not over 35, at
time of commissioning.

WHEN TO APPLY:  Application for the Civil Engineer Corps Collegiate
Program
can begin anytime during second semester sophomore year or later.  To find
out more information please visit our web-site at
http://www.bupers.navy.mil/codes/pers4/pers44/pers4413/

Sincerely,

Lore Alvarez
Lieutenant, United States Navy