THEDRUM Archives

March 2005

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:27:56 -0500

>To: Steve Ransom <[log in to unmask]>,
>         "Rodney D. Coates" <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: Mark McPhail <[log in to unmask]>,
>         "Dr. Steven M. DeLue" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Confederate Contractors
>From: Mark McPhail <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:32:03 -0500
>
>FAMILY,
>
>I wish to bring to you attention an item of concern for those of us of
>color and/or conscience who wish to see Miami live up to its commitment to
>diversity and inclusivity.    Several weeks ago I brought to President
>Garland's attention the existence of several vehicles associated with the
>construction on campus displaying confederate flags quite
>prominently.  While it is bad enough that we have to witness these
>displays on the vehicles of our students, to have to pass by symbols of
>racism and treason on a daily basis is offensive and illustrative of the
>climate of tolerance of intolerance here in Oxford.  In any case, shortly
>after my email the vehicle in question disappeared, but lo and behold was
>quickly replaced by another sporting the "stars and bars."  I find this
>offensive.  If you do as well, then encourage black faculty to express
>this to President Garland, in the hope that he will explain to the
>confederate contractors that symbols of racism and treason are not welcome
>on this campus.  Unless, of course, they are.
>
>Mark
>
>P.S.  Here are photos of the vehicles in question.

  rodneyc..

  If we are to combat the insanity of our world, we need to explore love,
self, and each other.  Join me in this exploration

  When love reigns supreme, then we will see the beauty of our existence!

  Please check out my new series: The Art of Love at the following url:

http://communities.msn.com/TheArtofLovefortheEmotionallyImpaired/_whatsnew.msn

  More Generally: My poetry can be found at:

  http://gw.cas.muohio.edu/umoja/www.ulbobo.com/umoja/index.html