THEDRUM Archives

April 2004

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:29:15 -0500
Volunteer in South Africa!
Announcing the 2004 Inform the World Library Skills Exchange

If you love books and reading, consider spending the summer of 2004 helping
communities gain access to the information they need to build a better future.

The ITW Library Skills Exchange is a 4-week hands-on volunteer program
primarily for librarians, library science students, and retired
professionals (we do also accept some non-librarians). The program provides
structured training and assistance to South African librarians and others
with little or no formal librarian training, while offering volunteers the
opportunity to use their skills and experience the vibrant culture of rural
South African communities.

The program is called a "skills exchange" because African and international
librarians bring their expertise together to create unique answers to the
information needs of rural African communities.  Sometimes the solutions
are based on international standards, like using a recognized method for
classifying books. Other times, they are unique adaptations to local
conditions, like delivering books by donkey cart or making paper from
elephant dung. Most often, each volunteer and African librarian contributes
to creating a library as special as the community it serves.

The programs is 4 weeks; there are two groups going to different locations:
Limpopo Province: July 12 - August 12
KwaZulu Natal (KZN) Province: July 16 - August 17

The World Library Partnership (WLP) is a nonprofit organization dedicated
to building global understanding by promoting literacy, learning and access
to information. We believe that libraries empower individuals and enrich
communities and we advocate for sustainable, community-based libraries in
developing areas of the world.  Visit our website at
http://worldlibraries.org for more information about us.

We welcome applications from interested volunteers around the world.  For
more information and to apply, please see
http://www.worldlibraries.org/itw/southafrica/saprogram.shtml

ITW 2000 volunteer Debbie Kilcup put it best when she said;  We left not
only a very functional and appealing facility behind for the eager
learners, but also a piece of our hearts. We are different for the experience.

 I never imagined I'd find such a perfect fit to combine my interest in
volunteering, traveling in developing countries, cross-cultural
understanding and also make use of my skills as a librarian said Kara
Malenfant (ITW 2001)

 I look in the library and I like the view. We had a room full of books,
but we did not have a real library. We are proud to say that since Barbara
came to our school, learners are using the library. She helped us become a
library." - Mr. B.G. Sibisi, Assistant Principal of Zenzeleni High School.

We d love to have you join us!