THEDRUM Archives

December 2004

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Denise McCoskey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise McCoskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:10:45 -0500
I'm sorry if you have already gotten this message, but I think it is
important.  If any one of you saw the "forum" on Ohio's election on
C-Span this week, you may have felt (like I did) that it brought
chillingly back to mind the first scene of "Farenheit 9/11"--with
member after member of the Congressional Black Caucus seeking support
for a further investigation into Florida voter fraud and being refused
aid time and again by the vast sea of (white) senators sitting around
them.  The CBC is certainly not the only group involved in
investigating Ohio voter fraud, but once again, they are helping lead
the way.  I'd like to think we, the people, won't make them push this
boulder again on their own.

So, please take two minutes to e-mail Representative Conyers at the
link below and ask him to hold full House Judiciary Committee hearings.
  He will use the messages he gets (as I understand it) to demonstrate
public demand for an investigation to the Republican members of the
Judiciary Committee who have previously been able to evade the issue.
At the very bottom of this message, I have attached the message I sent
Conyers--not a great one, but feel free to use it if it makes your task
easier.

Also, as you may be aware, Representative Conyers will be holding
another forum in Columbus this Monday.  Information about that event is
given below.

Finally, the recount in Ohio begins this week; please let me know if
you would like further contact information for that.

Thanks for your time and patience (one person contributing too often to
listservs--or forwarding too many mass mailings--can be a real pain, I
know.).  I truly appreciate your commitment to safeguarding the voting
rights of the most vulnerable of our citizens.

Denise (McCoskey)

Rep. Conyers needs your help!

Rep. John Conyers feels he needs a million e-mails to compel the House
Judiciary Committee to hold hearings about the 2004 election.  I appeal
to [you to] ... spread this message among your list of liberal friends
and associates.  Go here:

http://www.house.gov/judiciary_democrats/contact.html

and tell the Judiciary Committee you want hearings on Ohio!

> REP. CONYERS, STRICKLAND, AND OTHER CONGRESSMEN,
> ALONG WITH REV. JACKSON TO
> HOLD 2004 ELECTION FORUM
>
> Rep. John Conyers, Jr, and other Representatives
> along with Rev. Jesse
> Jackson will be holding a congressional forum in
> Columbus concerning new
> evidence of election irregularities and fraud in
> Ohio and to discuss
> legislative and other responses to the problems.
>
> WHAT: "2004 Election Forum"
>
> WHEN: Monday, December 13th @ 10:30am
>
> WHERE: Columbus City Council Chambers, City Hall, 90
> West Broad Street, Columbus, OH
>
> WHO: Rep. John Conyers, Jr.
>
> Rep. Ted Strickland
>
> Rev. Jesse Jackson, Founder Rainbow Push Coalition
>
> Prof. Robert Fitrakis, Editor, The Free Press
>
> Cliff Arnebeck, Arnebeck Associates
>
> John Bonifaz, General Counsel, National Voting
> Institute
>
> Gregory Moore, Excecutive Director, NAACP National
> Voter Fund

Dear Representative Conyers,

I am an Ohio citizen who has lost all faith in our election system.
Please urge the Judiciary Committee to conduct official and bipartisan
hearings concerning the 2004 election as soon as possible.  We must
once and for all make our government put into place a clear system that
guarantees all its citizens equal access to the vote--and works equally
aggressively to preserve and protect that right.   A good election
"more or less" should never again be the standard we accept.

I thank you for your great service to our country.