THEDRUM Archives

August 2001

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Drum: Black World Studies at Miami University
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:19:29 -0400
While we seek apologies, while we seek reparations, while we seek
answers..and while we seek the truth..let us understand that we are not
nor
have we ever been a monolithic people..we are quite diverse, rich, and
wonderful.
But, let us understand that if it were not for our own african brothers
there would never have been an african slave trade. It was african
tribal/religious/regional unrest..that fueled the wars that produced the
slaves that the Europeans so eagerly purchased. Yes our African kin had
no
knowledge of the horrors that would come as a result of their actions, but
for those of us so sold..we must state that ignorance is still no excuse..
Now, the unrest mentioned above..are not unlike the unrest we see today in
the black world..as those who believe that they know the truth..and what
is
best for the rest of us..would deny the rest of us the right..and the
respect to think for ourselves..
Now..back in the day..it was members of various national religious
groups..trying to proselytize..Jewish..groups trying to convert..Islamic
groups trying to proselytize Christian..Africans..and when they would not
convert....they were sold into slavery...
It seems that we are about to do the same thing today..
Because some one wears the wrong colors on the wrong corner, they can get
killed..
or because one prays to their God..and another wants them to worship
theirs..or none at all..
we would condemn them..
we slander each other..calling them slaves..
Africa is a basket case with unrest..as they continue the evil that
Europeans encouraged..
and we in the Amerikkas..are so far from getting together..because..of the
insistence that we all sing, dance, and pray..or not..in some type of
lock-stepped bull-shit..
Well..there will be no unity..until we recognize and respect the diversity
that is us..
I have a picture of a group of brothers..all different..Muslim, Christian,
Atheist, Jewish, Coptic Wearing dreads, braids, naturals, curls..black,
brown, tan, damn near white...
all embracing each other..with the logo...brothers gonna get together..
unless we are willing to embrace the differences..that we are..we will
never be liberated..and always..slaves..

so either freedom..and black liberation..or slavery and insanity..you
pick..
but i will die - preserving my right to think, choose my own
religion..which is Christian...and way of life...

and i do know how to make war..

rodneycoates
Vietnam veteran
black panther
ghetto boy..

For more of my poetry please check out

http://gw.cas.muohio.edu/umoja/www.ulbobo.com/umoja/index.html

umoja

A new series:
The Art of Love for the Emotionally Impaired please check out:

http://communities.msn.com/TheArtofLovefortheEmotionallyImpaired/_whatsnew.msnw

only when lions have historians will hunting cease to be glorified

rodneyc..