THEDRUM Archives

March 2005

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:57:33 -0500
Their visions
Rodneyc//05

Vision circumscribed by a corner store
Where dreams, long since deferred, now
Returned balances past due,
Horizons lost within a veil of tears,
Vile remembrances, when hope stood still,
Cancers on hearts beating to drums of steel.

Requiems of slaughter, as we barter their future,
Stocks dipping below the margins, human draught
Slipping below the tide, wanton destruction as
Our distractions turns again to the market where
Dreams lie in wait, lies in waste, cries way too late
For our ears to hear.

Hood rats, killing sprees, drive by's where bruised
Fruit goes unpicked, and the ripper raps the dead,
And the dead rips the rap, and the deft beat hits
The floor, and we dance to this tune played for
Heads that never had a chance to learn.

Shall we dance, or shall we commit anew,
Shall we forget or shall we command the dew
To settle fresh on the hopes, blossom new among
Their hearts, or shall we dance and commit
Another generation to the mendacity of the
Apathetically challenged, the pathetically

Self-righteous, the patently forgetful, or can
We right our wrongs, invest in our future,
And bring these youth into our today, and our
Today into their tomorrow?  Our decisions,
Their realities, our choices, their dreams,
Our future, their visions.