THEDRUM Archives

August 2001

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Drum: Black World Studies at Miami University
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:40:19 -0400
        There are several points that over the next few months I would like us to
discuss regarding the President's State of the University Address.  I would
like to start off by opening a discussion regarding Cargo Cults, Grade
Inflation and BWS.
        We in BWS have over the past few years been quite concerned with doing
things just because the ceremony or the culture deemed it was
necessary.  For example, given the extensively heavy service, teaching, and
other responsibilities of the faculty affiliated with BWS it quickly became
apparent that there was no way that we could find a time when a significant
number of faculty could attend meetings.  We therefore decided to develop
this listserv, to identify interest clusters (Bench marking, program
review, etc) and to utilize these interest clusters to organize our time
together.  As we have grown (from 2 joint appointment and 4 affiliates, to
8 joint appointments and over 20 affiliates) the likelihood of identifying
a suitable time is exacerbate.  But, giving the increasing complexity of
BWS we must nevertheless strive to find some time when a significant group
of us can get together.  Further, there is also a tremendous need for us to
get together for purely social and mentioning reasons.  All too often,
regardless of how hard we try, the work day is just too full to add
anything else.  Hence, the decision to try to combine the two..meeting and
social/mentioning.  For this reason last year we tried, with great success,
to meat in a less structured format.  Given the reception (over 12 members
of our family joined together), we are going see if we can repeat this
format in the months to come.  September 15 the first social/meeting
etc..is planned.  More on this latter.
        We in the BWS family, have not relied upon formal or informal meetings to
establish relationships with each other.  Frequent lunches, dinners, and
chats more then provide the necessary space for this to take place.  But
again, this has worked quite well for the faculty based at the Oxford
campus, the need is to find ways of extending this process to our family on
the Middletown and the Hamilton campus.  While I have tried to have at
least a couple of lunches/dinners with faculty on these two campus's I must
admit that I cannot do this alone.  I therefore ask the rest of the family
to step in and provide some much needed contact.
        The issue of Grade inflation is a tough one for us in BWS.  I must admit
that I have been reluctant in monitoring the grades within the program for
I feel that this is something that the individual faculty person should
do.  I would urge you to consider the grades, grading procedures, and
policies in your respective courses.  If you feel that this is something we
need to discuss in more detail, please use this forum to do so.
        Lastly, BWS where is it at and where is it going?  The quick answer..we
are on top of the mountain..we can either go up or down..the decision of
direction is in your hands.  Remember the Program review process is not
about me, or you, but the program.  What types of changes, directions, etc
need to be done.  What are our strengths, what are our weaknesses?
        Here is a strange idea...we can do anything we set out to do just as long
as we do 3 little things:
        1) Do our best
        2) Be honest with ourselves
        3) Not be concerned with who gets the credit

I wish you a wonderful, productive, and brilliant new year..until next time

rodneycoates
For more of my poetry please check out

http://gw.cas.muohio.edu/umoja/www.ulbobo.com/umoja/index.html

umoja

A new series:
The Art of Love for the Emotionally Impaired please check out:

http://communities.msn.com/TheArtofLovefortheEmotionallyImpaired/_whatsnew.msnw

only when lions have historians will hunting cease to be glorified

rodneyc..