THEDRUM Archives

January 2006

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:35:47 -0500
There aughta be a law: But common sense will do just fine
Rodney D. Coates*

	There, right in front of me, amidst the daily emails was one
marked "Urgent, IRS audit".  Opening, with a bit of trepidation, I
soon discovered that my long anticipated Tax refund had been delayed due
to my failure to provide key information.  Now, penalties were mounting,
and if I did not respond quickly a warrant might be issued, my property
seized and/or my wages garnished.  To add to these dire consequences my
credit rating could be ruined, local newspapers and my employer informed
that I was a Tax dodger.  Only one problem - I did not owe any back
taxes, I had indeed received my tax refund, and this was a bogus email
scam.  Just below this email, was another 'urgent' one, this time
from my bank -MBNA.  There I was informed that because of suspected
fraud (repeatedly someone had been trying to access my account over the
internet and withdraw funds) my account was subject to being suspended.
In order to prevent this the MBNA had changed my password, and I needed
to go to their site and confirm my information.  On this site, again
with an impressive MBNA logo, a bunch of legalese, a form asked me for
my account number, the secret three-digit code, and my old password.  To
confirm my identity I was to give my Social Security Number, my
mother's maiden name, and my pet dog's favorite treat.  Again, as
I looked over the form, I could do nothing but laugh for I did not have
an account with MBNA, and this was yet another scam. Also circulating
over the net, highly successful sets of scams are coming out of Nigeria,
Russia, and Poland.

These scams, usually with the same thrust, identify the sender as an
where a widow, or only child, or business partner of some recently
deceased rich husband, father, or governmental official has left
millions of unclaimed monies in virtually inaccessible bank accounts.
Your share, almost half, will be gladly forwarded if you would but claim
these as the rightful, American heir.  All you need do is provide your
bank account information, a small check (usually from 1-5 thousand
dollars) to cover various administrative costs and assure your honesty
-and the money will be wired to your account within 7-10 business days.
Another scam.  One last one, recently circulating is one in which a
Internet beauty, having lost my email address, has now resurfaced.  If I
would just go to her site, enter my pertinent information, the romance
of my dreams is waiting.  By the way, if I am not Ted, no problem,
surely someone with such a robust name as mine would be interested in
what was being offered.  A wife, a life of intimate bliss, all for the
asking -oh yea and my banking information, a small check, and we are off
to the races.

Although I agree with P.T. Barnum's oft quoted statement that "You
can't cheat an honest man", I wonder if such frauds do not deceive
the innocent, or confuse the elderly. As more an more of our elderly get
into the Internet age, there is a danger that the not so 'savvy'
will fall prey to these types of scams.  And while we have safeguards
for such things as mail fraud, and controls against unfair business
practices - there is little we can do to prevent these scams.  The
reason that these scams are difficult to control is that many of them
originate in overseas locations.  Thus, while you can't cheat an
honest man, another Barnum statement suggests that "a sucker is born
every minute".  Therefore, suffers, old or young, experienced or not -
there are no free rides, money does not fall from the skies, and there
are no "fairy God mothers" in this world or on the Internet.  So
while there may not be any effective laws to deal with these scams, a
little common sense, critical inquiry, and healthy suspicion my just
save you a whole lot of pain, suffering, embarrassment, and of course
-money.

*Note: Rodney D. Coates is a professor in Sociology/Gerontology and
Black World Studies at Miami University of Ohio. He can be reached at