WIMSE Archives

August 2001

WIMSE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jana Roughton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Women In Mathematics, Science & Engineering (WIMSE)
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:28:30 -0700
dr. yarrison rice

i have tried several times to get off of the wimse
list serve, can you please remove me.

sincerely
jana roughton

-- JAN YARRISON-RICE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Welcome back WIMSE friends!
>
>        Its hard to believe that the year has started
> already.  In fact,
> its the second week and I am still trying to find my
> desk from the
> summer -- says a lot about my organizational skill
> level at present.
>
> Anyway, I am trying to get the year started and will
> be contacting
> faculty and students alike with opportunities to be
> involved with new
> programs throughout the year.
>
>      Please contact any friends you think might be
> interested in WIMSE
> and have them join the listserv as well as looking
> out for meeting
> annoucements.
>
> Thanks,
> Jan Y-R
>
> Coming right away is the following:
>
>  (1)  We (WIMSE) have an opportunity to be involved
> in a service
> project with SWE (society of women engineers) here
> on campus.  It
> involves an outreach program to area middle school
> girls and girl
> scouts.  SOme of our WIMSE women have helped in the
> past and the next
> few years the program is expanding in a big way
> thanks to grant funding
> of a proposal by Karen Schmahl in Manu. Engineering.
>
> If anyone is interested, SWE would like to form a
> partnership with
> WIMSE as well as the American Women in Computing to
> develop and run
> these programs.  They are also trying to develop
> traveling stations
> which could be taken into the schools and to other
> programs throughout
> the year.
>
> More information will be forthcoming in the next few
> weeks.  However,
> if there is a core group of people interested, form
> a committee and have
> the chair person contact me (Jan Yarrison-RIce,
> Faculty Advisor to WIMSE
> -- 529 1862 or email as above).
>

> (2)  An upcoming talk which is a good cross between
> women, politics,
> and ecology.  Maybe we can go as a group and meet to
> discuss it
> afterwards.
>
> >The Women's Studies, Black World Studies, Latin
> American Studies and
> >International Studies Programs
> >present the
> >Grayson Kirk Distinguished Lecture Series
> >
> >Dr. Dianne E. Rocheleau
> >Professor of Geography
> >Clark University
> >
> >Transnational Ecologies and Everyday Lives:
> >A Feminist Political Ecology Perspective
> >
> >Dr. Dianne Rocheleau has lived and worked in the
> Dominican Republic
> >(three years), Kenya (seven years) and Florida as
> well as Worcester,
> >Massachusetts and has conducted academic and
> applied research on
> >social and environmental dimensions of regional
> [...]

=====
True happiness can not be found in material things.  True happiness is achieved with unconditional love.