WMUB Archives

June 1999

WMUB@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 07:47:52 -0400
Today's talk
shows on
WMUB (http://www.wmub.org/Today.html)

Friday, June 25, 1999

MAMA JAZZ LIVE at the Oxford Music Festival yesterday was postponed because
of rain. Stay tuned to WMUB and our web site for details on the rescheduled
date.

WMUB Forum: Y2K: What can you do to prepare?
Diane Rehm: weekly news roundup; Alger Hiss's son Tony
Fresh Air: actor Peter Coyote ("E.T.") on his memoir of life in the 60's
Public Interest: the role of midwives
Talk of the Nation/Science Friday: medical records and privacy;
"Connections" author James Burke; open phones
All Things Considered: Lost and Found Sound: restoring fragile recordings

   WMUB Forum, 9-10 a.m., repeated 7-8 p.m.

News Director Darrel Gray with an hour of conversations with guests, and
listener e-mail comments and questions
(http://www.wmub.org/forumcomment.html)

Friday, June 25: Y2K: What Can You Do to Prepare?

Darrel Gray will talk with guests and listeners about the Y2K computer bug.
Some say it's nothing more than exagerrated hype, and others say it heralds
the end of modern civilization as we know it.  These two drastically
divergent opinions will be addressed, but more importantly, we'll talk
about what *you* can do to prepare for the situation, whatever ends up
happening.

Guests: Craig Smith will join us by telephone from California.  Craig
launched Y2KNET in 1997 to raise public awareness of the looming Y2K
problem; and William Ray Turner, from the Butler County Emergency
Management Agency

   The Diane Rehm Show, 10-12 noon (*2 full hours on WMUB)

10-11: News Roundup: Diane and a panel of journalists take a look at the
week's top news stories, including the progress of the peacekeeping mission
in Kosovo, and the end of the Supreme Court's session.
        Guests: Bonnie Erbe (ur-BAY) of PBS' "To the Contrary"; Major
Garrett, US News & World Report; Gerry Seib, Wall Street Journal

11-12: Tony Hiss: Author Tony Hiss discusses his memoir of growing up as
the son of Alger Hiss, who was convicted of perjury and accused of spying
for the Soviet Union during the Cold War.  "The View From Alger's Window"
(Knopf) includes letters the elder Hiss wrote his family from his
Pennsylvania prison cell.

   Fresh Air with Terry Gross, 12:06-1 p.m.

Actor Peter Coyote looks back on his life in the sixties and his pursuit of
absolute freedom, what it felt like, what it taught him and what it cost.
His memoir has just been published in paperback.

      For tapes and transcripts of Fresh Air, call Toll-Free 1-(877)-21-FRESH.

   Public Interest, 1-2 p.m.

Host: Kojo Nnamdi

MORE THAN A QUARTER OF A MILLION CHILDREN ARE BORN EACH YEAR IN THE U-S
WITH THE HELP OF A MIDWIFE.  FOLLOWING UP ON A PUBLIC INTEREST PROGRAM
EARLIER THIS MONTH KOJO DISCUSSES THE FULL RANGE OF SERVICES PROVIDED BY
MIDWIVES WITH A PANEL OF EXPERTS FROM MIDWIFERY (MID-WIFF-ER-EE) PRACTICES.

Guests:
1. Ruth Lubic, Director of The DC Developing Families Center; 2. Mary
Hammond Tooke, nurse-midwife at the Bethesda Birthing Center; 3. (by phone
from San Diego) Dr. Mitchell Besser, OBGYN, works in collaboration with
midwives at the Birth Place in San Diego

   Talk of the Nation/Science Friday, 2-4 p.m. (*live on WMUB)

Host: Ira Flatow

HOUR ONE: MEDICAL INFORMATION AND PRIVACY: Who wants access to your medical
records, and why? And what is being done to protect your privacy?

HOUR TWO: JAMES BURKE/ OPEN PHONES: writer and television personality James
Burke who will discuss his new book, "The Knowlege Web." Plus your
questions for Ira in our monthly open phones segment.

   All Things Considered, 4-7 p.m.

The year-long Friday series "Lost and Found Sound" features the lost sounds
of our listeners --  found -- and restored. Our Quest for Sound phone line
brings calls from listeners who not only want to contribute to the
series... but just want to HEAR the sound again. Precious moments are
sometimes stored on material such as cardboard, aluminum, wire, and 78 rpm
records. In some cases the material is so old that its condition has
deteriorated.  We called in a "sound restorer" to help bring listeners
special moments back to life.

WMUB list administrator
replies: mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.wmub.org