WMUBTALK Archives

October 2001

WMUBTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WMUB Talk Shows <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 05:51:51 -0500
Today's Talk Shows on WMUB (http://www.wmub.org/)

Monday, October 29, 2001: WMUB's Fall Fund Drive continues.
        As of midnight Sunday we have raised $44,272 (a record for
the first 4 days of any WMUB campaign). As promised, we may end
early: we will end the drive at midnight on the day we reach our
$75,000 goal or on October 31st, whichever comes first. Pledge now at
http://www.wmub.org/pledge/

Interconnect with John Hingsbergen and Cheri Lawson (9am - 10am,
repeated 7pm -8pm)
        Creating Enduring Relationships on a Spiritual Path. Guests:
Charlotte Kasl, PhD, author of  "If the Buddha Dated" and "If the
Buddha Married."

The Diane Rehm Show (10am - Noon)
        Hour one: Anxiety: Two mental health experts talk about
managing the lingering effects of the September 11th attacks, which
can include symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression. Guests: Dr.
Jerilyn Ross, director of the Ross Center for Anxiety and Related
Disorders and president of the Anxiety Disorders Association of
America; author of "Triumph Over Fear: A Book of Hope and Help for
People with Anxiety, Panic Attacks, and Phobias" (Bantam); Dr.
Michael Heitt, clinical psychologist and associate director of the
Faculty and Staff Assistance Program for the Johns Hopkins
University, Johns Hopkins Hospital, and their affiliates.
        Hour two: V.S. Naipaul: Earlier this month, novelist V.S.
Naipaul was awarded this year's Nobel Prize in Literature. Naipaul
joins Diane to look back on his acclaimed career, and to present his
latest work, "Half a Life" (Knopf).

Fresh Air with Terry Gross (noon - 1pm)
        HAINIF KUREISHI <hahn-EEEF core-EE-she>. He's written about
Pakistani immigrants in London in his screenplays, "My Beautiful
Laudrette" and "My Son the Fanatic." And his novella, "Intimacy" has
been adapted into a new film. Also choreographer GARTH FAGAN
discusses his new dance "In Memoriam", a response to September 11th.

Public Interest with Kojo Nnamdi (1pm - 2pm)
        After the events of September, many teachers and parents are
wondering how history books will document the terrorist attacks and
address current events in Central Asia. The majority of textbooks go
to print next spring and decisions must be made soon. Join Kojo to
hear how history is being taught in schools across America. GUESTS:
1. Peggy Altoff, Social Studies supervisor, Carroll County Public
Schools, Maryland; 2. David Sicilia, (pronounced Cecilia) Associate
Professor of History, University of Maryland, College Park; 3. Ann
Falzone (Fal-zone) Editorial Director of Social Studies, Pearson
Prentiss Hall

Talk of the Nation with Neal Conan (2pm - 4pm)
        Hour one: MIDDLE-EAST CONFLICT: After gunmen assassinated
Israel's tourism minister, violence in the West Bank soared, halting
prospects for peace negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians.
The U-S says the fighting must stop and asked Israel to withdraw its
troops from Palestinian territories. The impact of the Middle East
conflict on the war on terrorism.
        Hour two: HOW THE ECONOMY IS AFFECTING YOU AND YOUR
COMMUNITY?: Even before September 11th, the economy was on a downward
spiral. Companies were laying off staff, consumer confidence was
weakening and many people delayed buying big-ticket items. Since last
month's attacks, the economy has slumped even further. How are you
doing financially? We want you to call in and report on your local
economy. Have you or friends had to put off vacation plans, because
of the downturn in business? Call and tell us about it.

All Things Considered (4pm - 7pm)
        After September 11th, violence and harassment directed
towards Arab-Americans has risen in the U.S. Many organizations
around the country have responded by gathering volunteers to protect
them. Citizens in San Francisco are offering rides to those who don't
feel safe.

coming up soon in local talk
        (live and interactive 9am - 10am, repeated 7pm - 8pm)

Tuesday on Help Desk
        Mac and PC questions answered. Send questions ahead of time
to [log in to unmask]

Wednesday on Sound Health with Cheri Lawson
        Orthodontic Treatment for Children and Adults. Guest: Dr. Nelson Diers

Friday on WMUB Forum with Darrel Gray
        Development of the I-75 Corridor. What does the future hold
for the busy stretch of Interstate between Cincinnati and Dayton?

Cleve Callison <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
513-529-5958, 513-255-1201 cell, 513-529-6048 FAX
"Help Desk" host, Tuesdays 9-10 am, 7-8 pm EDT
listen to WMUB live at http://www.wmub.org