WMUBTALK Archives

December 2001

WMUBTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WMUB Talk Shows <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 05:15:49 -0500
Today's Talk Shows on WMUB (http://www.wmub.org/today)

Wednesday, December 12, 2001

Sound Health with Cheri Lawson (9am - 10am)
        Skin Disorders. Guests tba

The Diane Rehm Show (10am - Noon)
        Hour one: Emergency Preparedness: Americans across the
country want to know what their government is doing to prepare for
the possibility of another terrorist attack. Diane and her guests
talk about what you should know about emergency preparedness, and
about how much coordination is going on between federal, state and
local agencies. Guests: Martin OMalley, mayor of Baltimore; John
Thompson, National Governors Assn.
        Hour two: Laurel Thatcher Ulrich: Harvard historian Laurel
Thatcher Ulrich talks about a part of early American culture often
left out of the history books. "The Age of Homespun" (Knopf) focuses
on crafts and tools of the domestic sphere -- baskets, clothing,
needlework and more.

Fresh Air with Terry Gross (noon - 1pm)
        AARON JAY KERNIS, one of the youngest composers to win the
Pulitzer prize for music. His new composition "Color Wheel" will
premiere Saturday evening at the opening of the Kimmel Center, the
new home of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Public Interest with Kojo Nnamdi (1pm - 2pm); guest host Frank Stasio
        The Way We Talk. Sometimes, how we say something is as
important as what we say. So says Geoffrey Nunberg, a linguist who's
been analyzing the relationship between language and culture for
years. Nunberg joins Kojo to reflect on how our language has changed
in the wake of the September 11th attacks. Guest: Geoffrey Nunberg,
author, "The Way We Talk Now" (Houghton Mifflin)

Talk of the Nation with Neal Conan (2pm - 4pm)
        Hour one: IS THERE A SHORTAGE OF WOMEN IN THE U-S?: According
to demographers, by 2010 men late 30's and early 40's will outnumber
younger, eligible women by 2 to one. Will there really be a shortage
of women?
        Hour two: TOM FRIEDMAN: The New York Times' Pulitzer Prize
winning Foreign Affairs columnist Tom Friedman. We'll talk about the
Middle East, the war in Afghanistan and U.S. foreign policy.

All Things Considered (4pm - 7pm)
        Schools have been stepping up security measures for some
time, with steps like metal detectors and bullet proof glass. Now in
Massachusetts some students say their school has taken things too far
-- by installing cameras that are monitored by the local police.

Cleve Callison <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
513-529-5958, 513-255-1201 cell, 513-529-6048 Fax
http://www.wmub.org