ZOO408A Archives

May 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Leo Sack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 13:36:09 -0400
 From 1:00-3:00 AM, Wednesday morning, a friend and I observed two
Barred Owls in Western Woods. The pair spent a lot of time calling back
and forth over a short distance, before moving to the same tree and
sitting side by side. They didn't seem to mind us sitting underneath
them talking. Eventually we saw them sitting together, silhouetted by
the full moon. Very cool. Eventually we used a bright flashlight to see
them better. They weren't as fond of this, but put up with it a
surprising amount. Even when they got tired of us, they never went too
far... I suppose that particular hill might be their preferred territory?

To get to this spot, take the service road that starts next to Boyd
Hall, and goes through the woods behind the parking lot. That road ends
in a cul-de-sac, but a trail continues from there in the same direction.
The Barred Owls stuck close to a small group of junipers just past the
first stream. Less than 1/4 mile walk total.

Leo Sack