ZOO408A Archives

May 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 16:56:51 -0400
Greetings!!
As previously reported we had a fantastic "Big Day" on Monday--many thanks
to Tom Klak and Three Valley Trust. I thought I would send some very poor
but recognizable pictures of the Red-necked Phalarope the keen eyes of Jim
Michael pulled out of the cattails at Shakertrace (this was after finding a
bittern in the vegetation at Spring Valley!).  The Scarlet Tanager was one
of many we saw in a variety of places on Monday.
Banding was amazing this morning!! We captured over 80 birds (53 banded and
28 recaptures). I can't wait to look at the recapture date-- we recaptured
10 Gray Catbirds, 5 Yellow Warblers, the same pair of Orchard Orioles we
banded in the same net last year!, a returning Indigo Bunting, and a
returning Common Yellowthroat among the Field Sparrows, White-throats,
Cardinals, Flickers, and Brown Thrashers we've banded in previous
weeks.  Highlights of banded species included a Lincoln's Sparrow, 3
Northern Waterthrushes, a Black-throated Green, Palm, and Yellow-rumped
Warbler.  Birds heard in the vicinity included Hooded, Cerulean,
Blue-winged, Prairie, Nashville, Black and white, and more Northern
Waterthrushes. We also banded our first Least Flycatcher of the year.
Cheers
Dave