ZOO408A Archives

April 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:02:53 -0500
I spent five hours at Brookville Lake and the agricultural land east
of there this morning.  I made a concerted effort to see what kinds
of counts I could get on Eastern Towhee, Field Sparrow and Eastern
Meadowlark.  A beautiful day and the lake was awash with fishing
boats.  Highlights:

Common Loon 8
Pied-billed Grebe 6
Double-crested Cormorant 16
Great Blue Heron 5 (incl. two high flying, north bound birds)
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 44
Lesser Scaup 29
SURF SCOTER 13 (tight flock on water off Buckpoint Golf Course, half
adult males, 2nd highest Brookville Lake count of which I'm aware,
10th April record)
Bufflehead 6
Red-breasted Merganser 4
Osprey 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2
Wild Turkey 7
American Coot 427
Pectoral Sandpiper 3
Bonaparte's Gull 106
Ring-billed Gull 11
Herring Gull 1
CASPIAN TERN 2 (Sagamore Resort)
FORSTER's TERN 1 (Whitewater State Park shore of Brookville Lake)
WHITE-EYED VIREO 1 (Whitewater State Park)
Purple Martin 6
Tree Swallow 128 (active around nest boxes)
No. Rough-winged Swallow 2
CLIFF SWALLOW 1 (Fairfield Causeway)
Barn Swallow 1
Eastern Towhee 36