ZOO408A Archives

September 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:45:36 -0400
Greetings!
The hummingbird from just outside Oxford appears to be a hatch-year male
Ruby-throat.  He has just begun getting his gorget. The tail is deeply
forked with relatively pointed middle (green) tail feathers. Black-chinned
have more square shaped tails--the central tail feathers appear longer and
more rounded. I was unforunately unable to get a good picture of the outer
primaries, however, a relatively poor picture appears to show a more
tapered outer primary as opposed to a rounded more blunt appearing
feather.  Great fun looking more closely at a species we all feel very
familiar with!!
We banded nearly 100 birds this weekend from 22 species, including a
hatch-year (HY) male Rose-breasted Grosbeak (see attached). We also banded
another dozen or so warblers including several species not mentioned on the
Cincy bird hotline from this weekend. Among eight warbler species, we
banded three Black and white Warblers, five Ovenbirds, and 4 Magnolias.  On
the catbird front we banded 32 more birds! Except for a field sparrow and a
couple cardinals, I think all the birds banded were hatch year! I'm getting
an entirely different picture of fall migration than what I previously thought.
On the way home Sunday a Broad-winged Hawk[see attached] was sitting in a
dead tree up the hill from the nature center.
Dave