ZOO408A Archives

May 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 13:37:32 -0500
Last Friday (28 April) a neighbor of mine on called reporting a swan
on his pond.  I went over expecting a Mute Swan or some domestic
bird.  Instead, it was a Trumpeter Swan (young bird) -- must be one
from the various populations that have been (re)established in the
region.

Yesterday Keith Morey called to report what he thought was a Ross's
Goose at Springwood Park in north Richmond.  I dropped by in the
afternoon and he was absolutely right -- a beautiful bird!!  Origin?,
but I'm counting it on my year's list!

This morning I was out in southwestern Wayne County, highlights were
7 Pied-billed Grebes, some seeming to be paired, on one pond; Bank
Swallows and Bobolinks (Merkamp Road).  Four Black Vultures were on
an old barn along McConauha Rd.  That species has been frequent at my
place in southern Wayne County (as many as 14 overhead on 22 April)
and we had some over Springwood Park a couple of weeks ago.

Bill