ZOO408A Archives

January 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:24:43 -0500
Greetings... just a couple notes about the Hamilton-West Chester area
sightings Dave mentioned, below. I couldn't find the greater scaup--or the
lessers, etc.,--on the Great Miami River early Monday morning, but there
were six killdeer. The scaup could still be around. Last winter a group of
greater scaup hung around this area for most of January and February.
Sometimes you could find a few on the river opposite Mercy Hospital, off of
Riverfront or Front Street, just north of Main Street. Usually they were
north of the low dam opposite Miami U-Hamilton.

For a while this winter, there were six short-eared owls at the VOA . . .
but there is also one great horned owl at the VOA, and he or she has a taste
for the occasional Asio flammeus paté, I guess you could say. Thus, today
there seems to be five short-eareds rather than the six that were there just
a week or so ago. Some birders have seen a greeat horned owl literally
stalking around in the grass at dusk, following the short-eareds when they
first come up for the evening.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH