ZOO408A Archives

August 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Anne HOOKE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne HOOKE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:36:17 -0400
Many thanks!

>>> "TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]> 8/21/2005 11:52:04 AM >>>
Anne,

Contact a local rehabilitator as quickly as possible.  You can find a
list of local rehabilitators at the following web-site.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Resources/orphans/rehabilitators_04.htm

In the meantime keep the bird in a warm protected spot (a bowl lined
with guaze, like that pictured, would work well).

There is a chance this is a cowbird egg/chick (based on the photo) that
has been evicted by a host species that is capable of differentiating
between a cowbird and its own eggs.  Some species are capable of
recognizing when a cowbird has laid an egg in their nest, and will take
steps to counter the cowbird.  They may achieve this by removing the egg
entirely and drop it elsewhere.  Other species may just build nest
material over the parasite's egg and smother it.

Good luck!

Casey