ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:28:03 -0500
Greetings!
Jill and I spent most of the weekend in Clarion, PA [two hours north of
Pittsburg] giving some seminars, however, we [with Alex Hickey] took the
opportunity to dash out yesterday to look around Cincy for some species we
were missing. We struck out on the Merlin at Armleder Park--must have been
too easy!!! So we headed down to Meldahl Dam to check out that area. A very
large number--close to 50 Canvasback were below the dam among 10 othe duck
species. We got our first Horned Grebes, Common Mergs, and Herring Gulls of
the year. We were able to find a single Surf Scoter (female or imm male)
among numerous divers. A Bald Eagle adult kept things stirred up. An adult
Peregrine was working the near shore and pulled up on a fence post to eat
its meal [it was so windy couldn't get a good look at the prey (or get a
decent picture)]. Looks like the Peregrine was banded red and green.
Cheers
Dave