ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 17:58:48 -0500
FYI--Chili Challengers

	From: Rick Asamoto [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

	Sent: Sat 2/3/2007 5:16 PM

	As noted by Dave Collopy the gravel pit near Spring Valley WA has hundreds

	of ducks and geese. Today just before noon I saw 5 Greater White-fronted Geese among

	the hundreds of Canada geese. Among the variety of ducks there was a female White-winged

	Scoter.  I could not locate the Cackling goose that Dave reported but many of the

	geese were partially obscurred.

	After lunch I was joined by Shane Egleston. There were many fewer geese

	present and we could not find the White-fronted geese. After scanning the ducks and geese

	for a while, 2-300 geese flew in. We then located the 5 White-fronted geese again. Shane then

	located one Cackling goose walking around by itself. A few minutes later Shane located 2 more

	small geese with their heads tucked. After several minutes they finally raised their heads

	and we could see the short bill and steeply angled forehead.

	Canada geese 600

	Greater White-fronted geese 5

	Cackling geese 3

	White-winged scoter 1

	Mallard 200

	Redhead 12

	Black ducks 20

	Ring-necked ducks 15

	Canvasback 7

	Gadwall 20

	Lesser Scaup 3

	Scaup sp. 4

	Bufflehead 8

	American coot 60

	Pied-billed grebe 3

	Ring-billed gull 20

	Herring gull 2

	This inactive gravel pit is on the north side of Roxanna-New Burlington road

	just east of SR 42.

	Rick Asamoto

	Miamisburg