ZOO408A Archives

April 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 05:57:21 -0400
Greetings... I led a Cincinnati Bird Club field trip to Gilmore Ponds on
Saturday. Highlights were 100+ pectoral sandpipers (most I've seen at
Gilmore Ponds), 2+ least sandpipers, 5 greater yellowlegs, 6+ lesser
yellowlegs, 12+ killdeer, 6+ blue-winged teal, 1 green-winged teal.

8 great blue herons, 1 great egret. Dennis Shellenberger and Craig Carver
saw a Virginia rail along the canal dike while they were looking for the
field trip.

Songbirds were a tad on the quiet side, though 5 or so yellow warblers were
nice to see and hear again, including one with a band on its right leg along
the Symmes Road dike, near Tim and Sharon's banding station. Probably one of
theirs from year(s) past. 1 yellow-rumped warbler, 10+ blue-gray
gnatcatchers. Tim Tolford heard a black-and-white warbler, which we missed.

Take care,
---Mike