ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:20:32 -0500
Greetings!!!
What a great weekend!!! Audubon Miami Valley and the Ohio Ornithological
Society sponsored their Owls of North American Symposium at Hueston Woods
this weekend.  There were well over 200 people interested in birds
assembled in one area--it was amazing!!! I was very impressed with how well
the whole symposium was organized and run--despite the "best" weather
mother nature could throw at us Sat night, everything went really, really
well. My compliments to all those that worked so hard!!!!!!
The storm Sat night had a tremendous up-side [except for those that wound
up in the ditch!]. The winds were blowing out of the south early Sun
morning when I woke up--the temperature was 37 and enough rain had fallen
to begin breaking up some of the ice that has locked in Brookville for the
past couple weeks.  As Debbie Gross has been reporting we had between 70
-80 coots that perished, trapped in a pool of water too small to take off
from (great eagle food, however).  Several dozen coots were able to work
their way to Sagamore and were feeding on a melted patch of grass on the
golf course. Jill and I lead about 50 people to Brookville Sun morning--we
started with the Northern Shrike (been here over 2 months now!), of the 53
Sandhill Cranes at Dunlapsville Sat afternoon, 7 remained on Sun morning
(the a couple dozen were seen feeding in the fields outside Liberty by
other groups). Flocks of Red-wings, robins, Killdeer, and Common Grackles
streamed over all morning-we had two flocks of meadowlarks. At Sagamore we
had 16 species of ducks, including nearly 70 Canvasback, our first pair of
Wood Ducks this spring, N. Pintail, GW Teal, our first RB Merg, and as we
watched a single Sandhill pass overhead, the geese started to arrive from
the fields. Among the hundreds of Canada's were 9 White-fronted Geese!!!
I hope this is the beginning of a great spring!!!
Cheers
Dave