ZOO408A Archives

August 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:44:06 -0400
Greetings... I thought this might be of interest to the list. Someone sent
along a note to the Michigan birds list serve asking what benefits might be
derived from banding vagrant hummingbirds--in this instance, the issue
revolved around the white-eared hummingbird that was near Ann Arbor last
week. This bird was scheduled to be banded yesterday morning, but my
understanding is that it hasn't been seen since early Saturday morning.
Allen Chartier, who bands hummingbirds in Michigan, Ohio, and the northern
half of Indiana, wrote an interesting reply. First, the question to which
Chartier is responding, followed by Chartier's response:

Question: "The WEHU [this is a reference to a white-eared hummingbird that
visited Colorado some time ago] ended up staying into August but it did
leave the house where it was banded and went back to the original house that
it was found at. It came back a
few times after being banded but never returned to the same feeder that it
was
caught at. I would highly recommend people trying to see the bird before
there
is a banding attempt on the bird.

 I personally do not band but I do not have any real feeling one way or the
other about it. There is great data to be had from banding but nobody has
been
able to give me a good reason to band extralimitary birds. So, if you know
who
is banding the bird and they can answer that question (with an answer that
is
meaningful) I would greatly appreciate some feedback."

Here is Allen Chartier's reply: