ZOO408A Archives

December 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 17:26:38 -0500
Greetings... There is a female Anna's hummingbird visiting a feeder in West
Chester, Butler County, Ohio; it's been at the site for at least three
weeks, and today the bird's identity as an Anna's was confirmed through
photographs by Chris Wood and a visit by Jon Dunn, Wood, Ned Keller, Sue
Tacket and Charlotte Mathena. We should have some photos on the OOS site by
Monday morning. I have four poor-quality photos taken Friday
afternoon--which I posted here--but Chris Wood's shots are excellent.

The homeowners, Dan and Wanda Schmitz, are more than willing to allow
visitors to see the bird, but they request that interested birders call them
first to arrange their visits. You can reach Dan Schmitz by calling
513.777.5112 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Dan will provide
driving directions. The site is about twenty-four miles north of Cincinnati,
in southern Butler County.

It's an interesting bird. Why it's here, who knows, but it's survived so far
two rather intense cold snaps, and hits the feeders from dusk to dawn at
roughly 25 minute intervals, with extended perching time in between.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
Butler County, OH