ZOO408A Archives

August 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:22:14 -0400
Hi Caitlin,

I'm slowly getting caught up on e-mail and came across your request for information about bird diseases.  I don't know if anyone has responded to your request yet, but I thought I'd send a long some information that might be helpful.

One of the first resources that comes to mind is put out by the USGS and is titled "Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases: General Field Procedures and Diseases of Birds".  You can download the manual, or just sections of the manual, in pdf format via the following web-site:

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/

A newer, but similar resource that has recently been published by Blackwell Publishing is titled "Infectious Diseases of Wild Birds."  You can learn more about that here:

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/book.asp?ref=9780813828121&site=1

I'm guessing though that your zoo vet would have access to a wide variety of resources on zoo and captive avian medicine as well as connections to other zoos and veterinarians who might have knowledge about this as well.

This web-site is probably a good place to get started: http://www.aza.org/AnMgt/AnimalHealth/

I hope this helps and I hope things have improved since your initial request.

Good luck!

Casey