ZOO408A Archives

April 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:13:08 -0400
Greetings!!
We had a great morning at the banding station at Hueston Woods!  It isn't
spring until we can band warblers--it's finally spring!! We banded a pair
of ASY (after second year) Yellow Warblers [caught in same net] and a SY
(second calendar year-hatched last year] male Prairie Warbler.  Other cool
birds today included a Hermit Thrush, a Northern Rough-winged Swallow, a
pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, many Swamp Sparrows, a House Wren (second
individual this year, but I still haven't heard one!) and a female
Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  We banded 32 birds and recaptured an additional 15
for a total of 47!! Not bad for 4 hours work!  We'll get busier within days
as the floodgates open this next week or two!!
Other interesting birds seen (or heard this morning) but not banded,
included Warbling Vireo, Solitary Sandpiper (fly-over), and the marsh wren.
As soon as I can figure out how to do it, I'll put updates on the web site
(complete with pictures) following our banding outings.
Cheers
Dave
PS I hope the volume of pictures doesn't wipe out your computer!