ZOO408A Archives

April 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:26:44 -0400
That's an excellent find! In The Birds of Ohio, Bruce Peterjohn writes that
"spring migrant [stilt sandpipers] are casually encountered along Lake Erie,
mostly within Ottawa and Lucas Counties. They are also casual spring
migrants in central Ohio near Columbus. Spring Stilts are generally
accidental elsewhere." Peterjohn also notes that most spring stilts are seen
in the first three weeks of May (Bruce G. Peterjohn, The Birds of Ohio,
2001, published by The Wooster Book Company). So the Acton Lake stilt Dave
photographed today is pretty rare *and* about a week or so early, according
to the literature.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH