ZOO408A Archives

February 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Christopher Betrus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:20:03 -0500
Great Miami River just above dam at Miami Hamilton campus

Hidden amongst many score of canada geese were three seperate notable
species. The 8 greater scaup (6 male, 2 female) are still present, 1
ring-necked duck has joined them, and a HORNED GREBE has decided to
make an appearance.  If you park in the lot by the dam, the grebe was
with the first group of canada geese just above the dam on the far
side of the river.  I watched the bird for about 5 minutes through a
spotting scope, making sure it wasn't an eared grebe and then lost
him when he went down on a dive.  I checked the same area for about 3
minutes on the way back downstream, but was unable ro relocate him,
althouth this may hvae been because I was in a hurry.

Good luck birding,

Christopher Betrus
710 Erin Drive
Oxford, Ohio 45056
(513) 523-0482

Protect your right to breathe clean, smoke-free air:
http://www.care2.com/go/z/11238/1043