ZOO408A Archives

April 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:17:23 -0400
Greetings!!
Ornithology class spent a beautiful morning in Hueston Woods today.  We got
great looks (some through the scope even!) of Louisiana Waterthrush (LOWA),
Yellow-throated Warbler, and Pine Warbler.  Other neat birds included
Broad-winged Hawk, Chimney Swift, Barn Swallow, and an Osprey catching a
fish.  The singing LOWA was over the ravine along the service road between
the upper parking lot and the beach in the Big Woods.  This bird was one we
banded in our MAPS (Monitoring Avian Populations and Survivorship) station
down near the Sugar Shack last summer.  Yes, we were able to read the last
digit on the band, a "6", and we only banded one LOWA last year whose band
ends in 6.  This was a second year bird last year (hatched in 2003) of
unknown sex [we know its a male now!] originally banded on June 2 and later
recaptured on June 26, 2004.  Kinda fun to feel a connection with "our"
birds in the forest!
Cheers
Dave