ZOO408A Archives

August 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:45:05 -0400
Greetings... Bob Lacker and I visited the VOA last night from about 7:00
p.m. until 8:45 p.m. or so. Highlights included one each sedge wren,
Henslow's sparrow, savannah sparrow, & two kingbirds. It was a little windy
and that might have suppressed movement, singing, etc. At dusk, small groups
of bobolinks, totaling thirty-one, started flying into the center of the
VOA. I think they were coming in from other parts of the park, since they
came sweeping across the fields just above the vegetation. Interesting to
see, though. Prior to that we'd only managed to find a small flock of six
birds. Also, seven common nighthawks, and one Cooper's hawk.

West Chester Parks & Recreation is beginning some preliminary mowing of the
approximately 52-acre center portion of the VOA, which they call "High
Meadow," (nice name, I think. I've always called it "the higher area in the
field north of the parking pulloff opposite ballfield A." That versus "High
Meadow." Two words. *Much* better sounding.). Much of the High Meadow area
will be mowed in late-September/early October as the beginning stage in a
long-term mowing plan to maintain this section as a grassland for breeding,
migrating, and wintering birds. I'll put together something for the Bird
Club newsletter about the plan this fall. But if anyone wants more details
in the meantime, drop me a line.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester