ZOO408A Archives

November 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 11:31:26 -0500
Greetings... Much of the West Chester portion of the VOA was mowed sometime
in late September or October. I'm not sure why, but anyway... Saturday
morning there were 20+ horned larks and at least one or two American pipits
in the short grass areas and near the lake. Eastern meadowlarks were still
easy to find and busy singing, with at least 12. There were 4 coots on the
lake. I'm not sure how waterfowl will take to the lake, but it's large
enough and has plenty of fish that it should be suitable unless there are a
lot of people in the area, which is often the case. The new section of the
lake was recently planted with grass seed, and should be a good draw come
late-fall and winter. Might not be any need to chum the roadways with corn,
like last year.

Gilmore Ponds on Sunday morning was a bit on the slow side, but it was a
gorgeous day, so who cares. Charlie Saunders and Bob Lacker and I had the
expected complement of winter sparrows, including juncos, white-throated,
and white-crowned, swamp and songs; a brown creeper, and a few
golden-crowned kinglets. The mudflats behind Hamilton Fixture looked pretty
good, and there were 46 killdeer enjoying the site. No other shorebirds.

As is typical for Butler County parks, there was a sort of Cool Hand Luke
scene at Gilmore Ponds Sunday morning, with multiple unleashed dogs running
around and barking and lunging and yelping at anyone out and about who was
foolish enough to try to enjoy the scenery. However, I was bitten in the leg
by a leashed dog. Go figure. Adding to the irony, the people running this
particular set of hounds consider themselves birders. You can't make this
stuff up, but the owner of the dog that bit me drives around in a car with a
"Go Vegan" bumper sticker on the back. I guess the poor dog was just looking
for a little meat and thought he'd take a shot at me. Ah well . . .

Ned Keller, Jay & Jack Stenger, and Joe Bens had a red-necked grebe at East
Fork Lake State Park on Sunday. You might have seen that on the Ohio-Birds
list or the Cincinnati site.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH