ZOO408A Archives

May 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rebecca Elefante <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rebecca Elefante <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 11:50:04 -0400
Hello all,
Thank you to all who gave me help/advice.  I contacted someone who
actually raised four young Downy Woodpeckers last year, and he told me to
just keep doing what I've been doing.

The bird has surprised me with some impressive flying skills; however,
he's quite clumsy with his feet and still needs the food put in front of
him to eat.  He's currently living in our screened-in back porch during
the day and sleeps in my room in a pet carrier at night.  He's quite a
precocious little fellow.  He does occasionally call, which sounds like a
mini version of his parents' call.

I've been watching our feeder for any sign of a resident Downy pair.  I
haven't seen any at our feeding in the last week though.

Thanks again,
Rebecca