ZOO408A Archives

August 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:26:53 -0500
I was out for about 4 hours this morning from dawn (too late to
listen for nocturnal migrants) to 10:00.  I began at a weed field on
Mitchell Road in northern Union Co. with 5 Sedge Wrens singing
vigorously.  Ended the morning having found 82 species (incl one
"Trail's Flyc.").

Along Treaty Line Road and on Brookville Lake at its end I found:
Great Blue Heron 25
Great Egret 28 (this, with 3 more further south on the lake, is a
Whitewater Valley record high)
Little Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 1
Green-winged Teal 14
Osprey 1
Wild Turkey 1
Semipalmated Plover 2
Killdeer 45
Lesser Yellowlegs 4
Solitary Sandpiper 4
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper 15
Least Sandpiper 2
Stilt Sandpiper 4
Great Horned Owl 1 (a bedraggled looking bird sitting on a piece of
driftwood in the middle of the mudflats with shorebirds walking
around it...may have just completed bathing).
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1 calling
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Yellow-throated Vireo 1 singing
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3
Cedar Waxwing 2 (seems to me that this species has been unusually
uncommon this summer)
Tennessee Warbler 2
Blackpoll Warbler 1
Canada Warbler 1

Lots of juvenile Chipping Sparrows along the roadsides, a total of 45
Chippies today.

At and near the Dunlapsville Causeway:
Double-crested Cormorant 55 (numbers substantially up from 10 days ago)
Great Egret 2 (making the Union Co. total 30)
Ring-billed Gull 65
Caspian Tern 1
Red-eyed Vireo 5 (including one feeding a young cowbird)
Swainson's Thrush 1

At Mounds State Recreation Area (Franklin Co.):
Great Egret 1

Bill Buskirk
Biology Department
Earlham College