ATEG Archives

January 2000

From:
EDWARD VAVRA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:59:43 -0500
Bravo!

>>> "Kathleen M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]> 01/07 1:08 PM >>>
I think I need clarification here.

When people (not to mention names!) say that "grammar does not help
writing," what exactly do they mean?

How were the studies that show that "instruction in grammar does not
improve writing" conducted?

The reason that I ask is because, when I debate with writing
teachers, the contention goes something like this:

"I taught my class about dangling modifiers, but here are their
papers, and six of them are still dangling modifiers!  Teaching
grammar doesn't work"

In other words, grammar instruction is like a vaccination--it
prevents all further problems--or it doesn't "work."

Is any other field in which instruction is held to this standard?  Do
mathematicians believe that math instruction does not work because
there are people who will go to their grave thinking that seven times
eight is forty-two?

Kathleen Ward