ATEG Archives

January 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 22:43:24 -0500
Bob,

I am puzzled by your recent posting. Do any of us not realize that there is
a world of difference between first and second language acquisition and
learning? I think we do. There are, however, many issues and much
terminology in common when it comes to discussing language, whether among
native, non-native, or a mixed company of speakers.

Perhaps the topics found in ESL grammar texts do often diverge from those in
texts meant for native speakers, but haven't you often wished, for example,
that our native students could learn about countable and uncountable nouns -
perhaps they then would refrain from (or at least pause after) saying things
like, "There's less students in my class than yours." How should we teach
them such concepts?

Regarding Krashen, it seems to me that the body of a person's work should
not be summarily dismissed as "wrong" without some detailed evidence. Do you
mean, for example, that his "input hypothesis" is completely wrong? And is
he also wrong about Free Voluntary Reading (Would you dismiss the notion
that reading is the most powerful tool in language arts education?)? Do you
think he is wrong in dismissing the notion that television is responsible
for the apparent "literary crisis" in America?

Where do we draw the line? I, for one, find such sweeping generalizations
dangerous.

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School
"Reason enslaves all whose minds are not strong enough to master her." - G.
B. Shaw