ATEG Archives

January 2000

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:20:40 -0800
Johanna (et. al.),
Thank you for taking the time to say what I decided I didn't have time to
put together yesterday.  Yes, I agree.  I also agree that grammar has gotten
some strange definitions--like punctuation and usage.  I don't consider
either of those grammar, although one might need some knowledge of grammar
to talk about them clearly.  I agree that doing the exercises in the
Handbook--which seems to be, in many people's minds, short for "grammar
handbook"--does no good. But exercises like sentence combining of specific
structures done over and over do work to improve student writing and, from
what students say, their reading also.  I think that it is important to note
that free sentence combining exercises, which do not force the students to
use a particular syntactic structure, will not improve the students' ability
to use syntactic structures.  There needs to be repeated use of the
structure for the brain to pick it up as something that it can use, not just
in editing, but also, as Johanna says, in composing. With this kind of
practice of syntactic structures, many punctuation and usage issues
disappear.---not all, but many.  It is not absolutely necessary to teach the
analysis of the syntax for the students to practice it (see Strong's
Crafting Cumulative Sentences), but as many people have said it is a helpful
framework for discussion, it helps students look at this important piece of
being human (language), it is interesting in itself, etc. I think a little
history of the language thrown in is also helpful; it helps make the point
about the arbitrariness, yet usefulness, of standard dialects.
Edith Wollin
North Seattle Community College