ATEG Archives

January 2000

Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 05:55:31 EST
I'm a high school English teacher in a school where grammar is taught
sporadically and ineffectively because the prevailing orthodoxy holds that
grammar is antithetical to "the writing process." I realize that this is a
pervasive problem nationwide, but I have a big powwow with my colleagues in a
few days and I'm asking for help. What is a good nutshell reply to the
"rolled eyes" response that English teachers give us when we advocate
teaching about the language? What do I say when I hear this: But the state
exam doesn't count much for grammar. It isn't on the rubric.

Your help would be much appreciated, and may help me to win some converts.
Thanks.
Amy