FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daniel Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:53:35 -0800
Hi All:

Seditious libel, you may recall, is criticizing the government.  It was a
crime in the early days of the US and for longer in the states, even--or
especially--if the criticism was true.

In current reading I ran across this statement: "We [the U.S.] are virtually
alone in doing that [overthrowing seditious libel laws].  Every other
society, including the western democracies, still has some for of seditious
libel--sometimes limited, narrowed--but some form of seditious libel on the
books."

Is that correct, do you think?  In the UK; in Australia and New Zealand?
I'd be interested in any responses.

Thanks.

Dan Warner

Daniel M. Warner