FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Leibman, Jordan H." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:31:38 -0500
Frank is correct that, if it can not be shown to be a pervasive custom to
allow employees to keep valuable lottery-drawn door prizes they win at trade
shows, the company has every right to assert the agent's duty to account.
My "guess" that companies do not seek to "claw back" (Peter Bowal's quaint
characterization) such awards is based on my perception that such awards are
very common. Would companies be donating automobiles and round-the-world
first-class trips for two only to see the winners' expectations
disappointed?  Many companies have preexisting policies against employees
taking anything from vendors with whom they deal, but even these policies
may not extend to the remote chance that their representative might win a
free lottery.  My guess is that the remote opportunity to win a door prize
represents an employment perk, because it does not represent the potential
conflict of interest that a direct gift would.  If it should turn out that
"clawing-back" is common I will humbly defer to Frank's guess.  Moreover, my
friend who won the prize will be satisfied that his company has not singled
him out, after the fact, for cruel and unusual treatment.  I am trying to
determine what in fact is the custom with respect to valuable door prizes.
The only authority who has checked in so far, a full time trade show
executive responded: "What kind of chicken shit is this?"  Stay tuned.

As for the "facts not in evidence," my reliance on the principles of custom
and notice doesn't need them.  I introduced the setting of the actual
situation to make the point that, when conflict of interest is not at issue,
an absolute prophylactic rule requiring the tendering of all profits and
property acquired in the scope of employment may be more rigid than the
common law of agency requires.  (P.S. Frank, in response to your earlier
query with repect to property found by an employee, there apparently is a
leading 1912 case that exempts the employee from the duty to account.)

Jordan L.