FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:05:40 -0500
Rick:

        If you want to avoid the "unfairness" issue, announce to the class that
anyone can turn in a draft, etc.  Then, you give people a chance to craft
their best work, etc.  I have been doing something like this for several
semesters and the quality of the written work (logic, detail, organization,
etc.) improves greatly.  Of course, it is more work for me, but I am
fortunate to have relatively small classes.  The students who really need
to take advantage of this offer frequently do not.  Often, the ones who are
grade-driven will do it to help guarantee an "A."  Doing a draft is a form
of "continuous improvement," as students have an opportunity to refine
their thinking and their skills.

        I believe offering to review drafts help students in their development,
especially if they have few opportunities to do written work in our classes.

Paul Lyons
Frostburg State University