OHIOFIRE Archives

May 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Basher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 08:04:34 -0400
At Colgate University, we inform the Residential Life office about the date
and approx. time (7:30 - 11:00pm)
With the email system the Residential Life office can spread the word
quickly to their staff.  We have found that cooperation with the Residential
Life Department is important, when we work with them, they work with us if
we start to get a pattern of false alarms, they are an extra set of eyes and
ears for us.  We do not over do the fire drills, the students get the idea
that it might be fun later in the night when we have pushed the drills.
When we do the drills we have extra Campus Safety officers blocking off the
main routes of exit, then the students have to exit via a route they don't
even know, about or don't use regularly.  We push the idea of knowing all
the routes of exit from the dorms.
Our officers conduct a room by room check for complete evacuation.
John Basher
Assistant Director of Fire Safety
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive